Sunday 1 September 2013

Experimental collages

British artist John Stezaker creates photographic collages using old Hollywood film stills, vintage photographs and travel postcards. His work has Surrealist and Dada qualities. He juxtaposes two images together to create a new image. Here is some of his work:

   Muse (Film Portrait Collage) IX, 2012
Collage
11 3/8 x 9 1/4 inches
29 x 23.6 cm 
  
   Muse (Film Portrait Collage) X, 2012
Collage
10 5/8 x 9 inches
26.9 x 22.9 cm

   Marriage (Film Portrait Collage) LXXVIII, 2012
Collage
10 1/2 x 9 1/4 inches
26.8 x 23.6 cm         

   Marriage (Film Portrait Collage) LXXIX, 2011
Collage
9 3/4 x 8 inches
24.8 x 20.2 cm

 This particular series of works is what interested me since there is a male and female in each      piece, thus relating to my work, Androgyny. 
 Inspired by the artist, I tried experimenting more with collage. I used images from magazines and    tried to match male and female photos together.

 

 

           



         


   



   





















 








Here, still using images from magazines, I cut up many parts of the body such as arms, legs, eyes, mouths and breasts, in square shapes to create a ''mosaic of flesh''. I tried to match up the colour scheme so I chose colours that are similar. Here are some close up shots of the collage:





No comments:

Post a Comment